3029 S. Kinney Rd., Tucson, AZ 85713 • Ph: 520-578-1505 • Fax: 520-908-0455
E-EDITION LAST UPDATED:
Current E-Edition

News Sports Community/Calendar Obituaries Religion Opinions Photos Home 

Marana Spectrum will offer Main Street and big box stores

Posted: Tuesday, Jul 24th, 2007




MARANA — According to Marana Planning Director Kevin Kish you will have to go out of the state to find anything close to what Marana Spectrum will bring to the town.

“You go up into the Phoenix area and there are several of these ‘lifestyle’ centers, built in phases and it grows with the community but they are not on this scale,” said Kish. “To me I think it’s a unique project.”

Marana Spectrum will bring over 1.3 million square feet of retail space to the area along the Interstate near the Twin Peaks interchange and a newly routed Linda Vista Boulevard. The center will also offer office space, a hotel, restaurants and a multi-screen theater. The plan is based around a Main Street center with big box stores and pads for smaller retail and offices surrounding it.

“I’ve seen some places like this, with the Main Street idea at the center, in California and Colorado in my travels and they’re exciting,” Kish added.

Small shops and restaurants will line the Main Street area.

“These are the kind of centers that draw regionally,” said Kish.

“You go to the Main Street for dinner and the a movie. Or you get lunch on the weekend and then visit one of the big boxes to gather up what you need for a project. From all directions, from Avra Valley to Dove Mountain, Continental Ranch and even from Pima County to the east, this will be the most convenient major retail center and office center to go to.

“With the flexibility in terms of the area and the size of the projects it allows developers to modify it as it is built, because it will probably take three or four years to develop this fully,” said Kish who has watched the project evolve over the past two years.

The sizes of the buildings in the Spectrum range from small shops to full sized big box stores. At the same time there is open space and plenty of parking.

A development agreement will provide a reimbursement of construction of 45 percent of sales tax to the developers for 15 years. The town will take the other 55 percent. This allows infrastructure to be built including sewer, water and roadways.

The Marana Spectrum will be special for another reason. It will be located in a unique setting as part of the Twin Peaks Overpass. As more of these types of road projects are built the same unique qualities will apply.

“We have these new interchanges coming in that these large, 100-acre corners can take advantage of,” said Kish.

The time-line for Marana Spectrum is tied to the Twin Peaks project and the realignment of Camino de Manana and Linda Vista. This entire project is slated to begin soon, but will obviously take several years to complete.

Share on Facebook











Select Page:
Within:
Keyword:

Google

Entertainment





 

Copyright 2014 News Media Corporation

News    Classifieds    Shoppe    Search    ContactUs    TalkBack    Subscribe    Information    E-Edition    Business Portal